Tuesday, January 31, 2012

From albums to books

For a long time now I've wanted to scan and save my family film pictures to DVDs.  I have quite a few photo albums starting with Emma's birth in 2001 until Abby was about fifteen and a half months in November of 2003. After Christmas 2010, I had decided to make photo books as presents for my mom and Brady's mom for Christmas 2011.  Optimistically wanted to include years, 2001 through 2003. 

 As the Christmas season rolled around and I got super busy with my photography business, it got harder and harder to start any of my own photo projects. Needless to say, I only had enough time to scan Emma's first year pictures and upload them to make the books.  I make photo books for several of my clients, so I knew exactly what I wanted to order from my photo lab.  I wanted 8 x 10 books in black art cloth with linen pages.  I wanted simple, but classy.  When I am finished with this monstrosity of a project, I will have many, many of these to line my bookcases!  And so will my mother and Joy.  I finished my books only three days before Christmas Eve, but my spectacular photo lab was able to print them and ship them just in time.  I ordered three copies of the two books I finished for Christmas, one each for me, my mom, and Joy.

Here's the first two volumes of my photo book project.  The first book includes pics from the time Emma was born (also a few from baby showers) until she was three months old.  The second book includes pictures from approximately four months old until she turns one year old.   



beginning of first volume

end of first volume

beginning of second volume

end of second volume

I've started the scanning process for my third volume.  My mom just asked me yesterday if I had another book ready.  I wish!  Scanning takes time people!  HA!

When I scan the pictures I save them to my computer, to a DVD, and to an external hard drive.  Once I get all of the film pictures scanned, I plan to save them along with all of the digital pictures I've taken since 2003 to DVDs.  I want to give mom and Joy each a copy for safe keeping at their houses. 

Hooray for digital!!!!

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Kim, I am so beyond impressed with all the work you have put into these! They really are amazing. When I saw you give this at Christmas it inspired me to do my own...of course not NEAR as professional, just from trusty ole' shutterfly and just of my life. 2010 came in today and I got 2011 last week, so now I'm ready to keep the process going for the future so it'll be much easier and I'm hoping to maybe do a "grad school", "college" and then one just before that...we'll see how that goes! And yes, thank goodenss for digital!! Also thanks for the inspiration, can't wait to see them all!

Joy said...

It was a wonderful "Christmas Surprise". I look at them every day!!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Oh such a special gift. I started doing picture books for Christmas gifts (of different events, trips, or something special) for family a few years ago and everyone always loves it! It does take time, even with digital so I can't imagine with scanning! But I am so very inspired...this is exactly what I need to do for ours. We have a few scrapbooks, Rivers has the most, obviously I ran out of time to continue coordinating papers and cutting letters,etc with 3 small kids, so their scrapbooks fell to the wayside. But this, this gives me new hope. Although I'm already dreading the scanning and organizing....just remind me how worth it and how much better I'll feel in the end! :) I love the idea of the classic books, and having a personal little library. I have a question though, to pick your brain, because this is where I got stuck and then quit essentially with the other scrapbooks. What to do about seperate books, combining stuff, pics with 2 or 3 of the kids, events they all were at, etc? Like make their own books up to 1 year or 2 or when they start Kindergarten? Then just do books by year, like here's our life 2006?? That's what I'm leaning toward....a few editions really focusing on showcasing their baby/toddler years devoted to each child, then just doing a yearly wrap up....although it would be a thicker book. Thoughts?