Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

Tomorrow we will celebrate Thanksgiving lunch in mom's ICU room. I am thrilled beyond measure to say "celebrate". There were a few moments in the past two weeks I wasn't sure if I would be with my mom on Thanksgiving. So tomorrow I will be celebrating Thanksgiving with my mom! There is no doubt for what I am thankful! I am also giving thanks for the physicians, nurses, my family & friends, and for all of you who have kept my family in their thoughts and prayers.

Just a quick update---My mom's white blood count is finally in the normal range----hooray!! My mom's rash is clearing. She has been released from her pulmonologist. She did, however, gain a cardiologist. Mom's heart rate has been very irregular and her blood pressure was high last night. Dr. White, her infectious disease doctor, saw her today and ordered the insertion of a Groshong catheter. On Monday mom will undergo a procedure to have the Groshong catheter placed into one of the main blood vessels leading to her heart. Dr. Thomas, our favorite surgeon, will be doing the procedure. This catheter is necessary when long term intravenous antibiotic therapy is needed. The procedure will take about an hour. We are still waiting for mom's kidneys to function. Twelve and a half pounds of fluid was pulled from mom's body during dialysis today!!

Thanks for taking time to read and care about my mom's condition. I wish each and everyone of you a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

5 comments:

hicksfamilycircus said...

You know we'll be thinking bout you all. It's times like these we pull together and realize what life is all about. Love you!!

James' Full House said...

I know how greatful you must feel. I think we can all learn from this. You never know how long you have with the people you love the most. We make a big deal out of the littlest of things. What is the bigger picture - just love and give thanks for all you have been blessed with because we are not promised tomorrow. Enjoy your mom and family and know we are parying for a full recovery.
Brandi James

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news, Kim!!! I'm so happy to hear this update. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Kim, we are so glad to hear that you will be celebrating Thanksgiving with your Mom today! You and your family have been in our thoughts and prayers
and we will continue to pray for her complete recovery.
Love,
The Moon Family

Anonymous said...

Kim- I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I have been getting updates from Melani. I have put you mom on our prayer request at my church and my parents. I know that there a lot of prayer warriers out sending up their prayers. I hope your mom continues to improve! If there is anything I can do to help out- I will certainly be more than glad to.
- Brooke Hancock