Monday, November 17, 2008

My Mom

My mom was admitted to DCH this past Friday. She had been in severe back pain for about ten days, her left foot was swollen and red, and by Friday she could not walk or stand without help. She had been to three different doctors during that time, but none helped her. By the time her bloodwork was done at the ER, her WBC was 27,000 which is EXTREMELY high. Her foot was so badly infected she was taken to surgery on Sunday for it to be drained and cleaned. Instead of calling us (the normal procedure), the surgeon came to the room to tell us about mom's condition. The surgery went fine, but her kidneys were failing so he was sending her to TSICU. Her doctors are waiting to see if her kidneys will start functioning normally by giving her fluids before they put her on dialysis. Today the surgeon was checking her left foot when I asked him to look at her right foot. Mom's right foot was hurting and it was swollen and a little red. He cut it open right then and there to look inside. Yes, her right foot is now infected and she might need surgery on it. She should have another MRI of her back in the morning and an MRI of her right foot. The doctors are trying to determine the extent of the infection in her foot and determine if there is infection in her back.

My dad, Brady, and I are trying to keep it together the best we know. My dad and I have been with her the most we can. Brady has been handling the kids and coming to the hospital when he can. It's been extremely difficult to see my mom like this. Sometimes the Morphine doesn't help the pain, but I know the doctors and nurses are doing their best. We are trying to be hopeful that the infection clears and her organs aren't permanently damaged.

I am asking everyone to remember my mom in their prayers. She needs all she can get.

17 comments:

hilda said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Just know that I will be praying for her and will ask the church to pray for her too. If there is anything I can do just let me know.

Hilda

Anonymous said...

Kim - Please know that I will do anything I can. I would love to help with the kids. I would enjoy it. Just let me know. You take care of yourself.

The Deavours Family said...

Kim- you and your entire family will be in our prayers.

James' Full House said...

Kim- I will add her and your family to my prayer list. Take care and keep us posted.

Brandi James

Raegan & Caleb said...

Kim,

We're sending our prayers from Dallas.

Raegan

hicksfamilycircus said...

I just tried to call you. Oh Kim, if there is anything we can do please let me know. You know I will be praying and thinking of you and your family constantly.
We love you all!!

Anonymous said...

Kim I am praying for you and Mrs. Dianne. I hate to hear that. If there is anything I can do please let me know.

The Baker's said...

We will be praying for your mom & your family.

Anonymous said...

Kim....as with everyone else on here...you, your mom and entire family are in my prayers ...and we will add you all to our prayer list at church also. I am more than willing if you or Brady need some help with the kids....all 3....my kids would love to play with them any time.

Unknown said...

I haven't met you before...but I look at your blog a lot. You and your mom are in my prayers.

Niki Arendale said...

Kim-I will be praying for your mom and you and your dad as well to stay strong. If there is anything I can do for you here in Helena please let me know.

Hollyhand House said...

I am sorry to hear about your Mom, Kim. I will be praying for your family.

The Cannons said...

Ya'll in our prayers. May God give you strength and peace. With all our love and prayers.

Celebration Longs said...

Kim-I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Ellen told me the news today. You and your family are in our prayers!!

Shawna and Ken

Anonymous said...

We're thinking of all of you during this difficult time. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need help with the kids. We don't have any commitments this weekend and will be happy to make the trip if you need us. Let your mom know we're praying for her.

Love to all!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I just want you to know that I think about Diane every single day. I have been wanting to call and check on her for a while, because i hadn't seen her in so long. I just found out two days ago about her condition, and I wish I would've made sure that I got in touch.

I only cut her hair for a short while, but it was long enough to know how sweet and wonderful she is. Also she is very strong.

I know the infection is strong, but prayer is much stronger. Your mom can pull through.

I am keeping up with her progress on your blog spot, and I've talked to Christy a couple of days ago.

my little girl, Sela, remembers Mrs. Diane coming in the salon.
My entire family are praying for her to have a full recovery.

If there is anything we can do to help in any way, please let me know.

Sophia

Anonymous said...

Kim, I just want you to know that I think about Diane every single day. I have been wanting to call and check on her for a while, because i hadn't seen her in so long. I just found out two days ago about her condition, and I wish I would've made sure that I got in touch.

I only cut her hair for a short while, but it was long enough to know how sweet and wonderful she is. Also she is very strong.

I know the infection is strong, but prayer is much stronger. Your mom can pull through.

I am keeping up with her progress on your blog spot, and I've talked to Christy a couple of days ago.

my little girl, Sela, remembers Mrs. Diane coming in the salon.
My entire family are praying for her to have a full recovery.

If there is anything we can do to help in any way, please let me know.

Sophia