Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Update

First, I just want to thank everyone for all of the calls, messages, and emails. You all are wonderful!! I wouldn't be making it through without you all!!

Update: My mom's kidneys and liver are worse today. The MRI showed infectious processes in her spine. After much discussion between her surgeon and her neurosurgeon, they decided to do a surgery on her back called a laminectomy. Just as soon as Daddy signed the consent form, Dr. Givhan, her neurosurgeon, and her TSICU nurse, Pam, pushed her to the OR. Dr. Givhan drained approximately 150 cc of infection from her spine. He said there was no way the antibiotics could have gotten in there to kill the bacteria so he was very glad to get this done asap! An infectious disease doctor has been consulted and did come by to see her today, but she was getting the MRI. Hopefully he will come tomorrow. When I left tonight, she was getting a unit of blood and was to get one more. I will try to give another update tomorrow. Please pray for better lab results in the morning.

As I've said, it has been extremely difficult for me to see my mom in this condition. My mom is a strong person, probably the strongest person I know. I am almost certain her name is listed as a synonym for fighter on Wikipedia.com. To see her battle this deadly infection is almost more than I can take. To know I can't talk to her and tell her silly stories about her grandchildren breaks my heart. I can hold it together pretty well at the hospital because I am in "caregiver mode". Every night when I leave the hospital, I can almost make it to the gate before the tears start to flow. When I get home I hug and kiss my sweet babies and make silent promises that their nanny will soon get better and visit them. They need her to get better, my dad needs her, I need her.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well. I'm praying for better results in the morning. Love you.

hicksfamilycircus said...

I'm glad to know also that the surgery went well. You yourself are a very strong woman so I suppose you got that from your mom. You know that I know all too well what kind of pain you are going through. I will pray however that you continue to have that strengthconstantly and that she is healed. We all need a little Christmas time miracle going on about now! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Kim, Josh just told me about your mom. I haven't checked you blog in a few weeks. I'm soooo sorry to hear about everything. If ANYONE knows how much a mother affects your life it's me. That being said, I will pray my little heart out for you guys. Your family is very special to me and I love you all. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need help with the kids.

Anonymous said...

Kim- You and Ms. Diane are in my prayers. I have passed along the word for more prayers. Keep strong!

Cassie said...

Oh, Kim! Praying for you all! As you said, your mom's a fighter! If anyone can fight through this, it's her!! I love you, and will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!

Anonymous said...

Kim
I came across your blog, and want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I will pass along the word for more prayers at my church tonight!!
Ashley Mabury Doran

Jim, Darlene and Eli said...

We are praying for your mother and your entire family. "For I am the Lord, who heals you." Exodus 15:27
Darlene (Krisha's mother)

Maryalice said...

We are praying for you, your dad, and your mom, and we'll add her name to our church's prayer request list. Hopefully things will turn around soon.