When I visited my Granny in the nursing home yesterday, the last thing I expected to hear from her was that she had watched the National Championship Game. In it's entirety. In all my years of visits with my grandmother have I ever heard her mention football much less intentionallyhave it on the tv screen in front of her.
You see, Mrs. Cannon is my grandmother's roommate and she is an avid Alabama football fan. I can always spot their room way down the hall by the Alabama banner that hangs on the wall next to their door. When Granny told me she had watched every bit of the game, I was all ears for this story. Granny said that her and Mrs. Cannon watched the first half in their friend, Mrs. Freeman's room, but at halftime Granny decided her and Mrs. Cannon should get settled back into their room to watch the rest. To myself I was thinking wasn't that past your bedtime? As Granny was talking I had this vision of these two elderly ladies, both in their wheelchairs, slowly rolling to and from Mrs. Freeman's room. I wondered if they had Bama shakers in tow.
Granny said Mrs. Cannon (and that is exactly what she calls her) never once doubted they would win, although Granny had her worries. I still can't believe I had this conversation with my Grandmother. My 82 year old Grandmother. The same one who has been in and out of the hospital more times than I can count. The one I thought I was sure gonna lose many times. And here she was taking about Alabama football and how Coach Saban sure didn't like getting all of that Gatorade poured onto him. Life is funny, isn't it?
I know Mrs. Cannon is in my Granny's life for a reason. Her upbeat attitude and personality and her contagious zest for life has been the perfect rehab for Granny, time and time again.
I never did hear a Roll Tide Roll from Granny. Mrs. Cannon can work on that next season. :)
2 comments:
Too cute!! Friends are always SO important. At whatever stage you are in life!:)
**NOTE: However, I do think anybody can stay rejuvenated and full of life when it comes to ALABAMA FOOTBALL!:) Roll Tide!
The Sweetest Story I have heard or read today. I used to work at the Fayette Long Term Care it was so much funny to watch them make new friends or fight with old ones and to visit other rooms. I am glad you had a Wonderful conversation with you Granny. I bet you will NEVER forget it. Memories like that help us to live and love each day!!
Post a Comment