Thursday, January 7, 2010

a reflection of the last few days

The bad news that started on the eve of this new year is going to turn into something positive. I just know it. I feel it. I've had some very sad days mourning the loss of one of my dearest friends, but I have also found love and comfort from so many friends and loved ones. I got to see and talk with many former high school classmates and several old friends. It is terribly sad that it takes a death to bring us together, but it felt so good to see everyone.

It was so touching to see everyone who came to the visitation and funeral. Michelle touched so many lives and if you waited in the long line at the visitation, you know what I am talking about. Jamey was so strong as he greeted and hugged each and every person. Billy, Sandra, and Andy holding it together and getting through the evening of grief for only hours before there were tears of happiness as Andy and his wife, Dee, brought a new Lowery into the world. This family has been through so much. Please continue to pray for them.

The funeral service was extrememly emotional as two preachers, one from the past and one from the present, spoke of Michelle. Jamey's farewell to his Michelle was absolutely heartbreaking. The absolute sweetest sound at the funeral was Brenna's precious voice as she sang "Jesus Loves Me" in front of everyone. Angie Cannon and Dana Bozeman brought goosebumps to my arms with their beautiful song. I sat with my tearful girls, holding them as they held me. Brady was a pallbearer and I know it tore his heart in pieces to carry our beloved friend to the hearse and send her on her way to the burial site. A group of Michelle's Mississippi friends were able to come. I watched as they clung lovingly onto one another and heard them as they talked about their "Michelle memories". I got to meet her sweet friend, Diane and wow, what a connection I felt with her! I am so comforted to know they have these wonderful and caring friends to help them when Jamey and Brenna make the journey back home.

After the funeral, we all gathered at Billy and Sandra's to eat and visit with both families and several of her friends. Sandra let us pick out a plant to bring home. The girls ate and then settled into playing with each other, laughing, and running outside together. We drove to the gravesite together with Brenna, Jamey, and Michelle's friends. Many, many gorgeous flowers were on and around her grave. It was quiet and peaceful for the first few moments as we all stood shoulder to shoulder. Then the girls grew restless and walked away to wander around the cemetery. As we were still and quiet, we could hear the girls talking and giggling as they ran through the cemetery. Music to Michelle's ears without a doubt.

It didn't matter how far away Michelle was, we were always the kind of friends that when we were together we always picked up where we left off. We enjoyed each other no matter where we were in our lives. I'm gonna miss our special friendship. I'm gonna miss getting her sweet blog comments. I'm gonna miss sharing stories about our children. I'm going to miss getting birthday earrings from her and miss giving birthday earrings to her. I will miss so many things about her, as will so many others. Michelle was a treasure to have our lives. She was one of a kind and she will not be forgotten. Michelle's loss has opened my eyes, and I look forward to the road that lies ahead.

I promise to post something on a lighter note next. I still have a New York post to finish and a Christmas post. But right now, I'm getting ready to cheer on the Tide with my family and Jamey and Brenna!

3 comments:

The Cannons said...

Beautiful post, Kim. I agree. Something positive has to come out of this. In 1 Thess.5:18 it says, IN everything give thanks: for this IS the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." He doesn't say we have to give thanks FOR everything but IN everything. In every situation, there is something to be thankful for. For what? Especailly in this circumstance, we are prone to question, how could we possibly be thankful. But I pray that God shows us all. Especially those closest to Michelle. It was great to see you and your beautiful family. Love ya.

Diane said...

I, too, will miss Michelle in so many ways. She has been such a huge part of my everyday life, for the last 3.5+ years!

We'll try to help Brenna and Jamey as much as we can (or that they want us to) when they're back up here.

OK, here goes, in honor of Michelle,
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

kimberly t. bowling said...

sweet reflection. sorry you are even having to write such a post. still unbelievable if you ask me. I do believe many positives have already came from this untimely passing...so many were touched by Michelle's mere existence, much less those who had even the briefest encounter or relationship with her. The postives live on in everyone who knew her sweet spirit, in people like you, who will never forget.