Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Birthday My Little Man!!

Today is John Brady's 4th birthday! Each year when it gets close to one of my children's birthdays, I always reflect on that miraculous day and all of the milestones they've met since their birth. Most parents do, huh? My thoughts have been a little out of the ordinary this year. Because I almost lost my mom a few months ago, my view on life and life's challenges has somewhat changed. For the better. When my mom was so very sick, the outpouring of love I felt was unimaginable. Many times I was brought to tears by the messages I received. I realized I didn't have to go through it alone. The blog was my outlet. Sharing tragedies and triumphs with you has become a major part of my life. I wasn't such a "sharer" back when John Brady was born. I wasn't a blogger either. Probably didn't even know what a blog was! If I had known then the comfort of words and the power of prayer, I would have shared one of our deepest fears. Brady and I spent most of John Brady's first 7 months of life worried sick about the tremors in his legs and his developmental delays. Our pediatrician thought John Brady had Cerebral Palsy and we did, too. Too many factors pointed to it than not. Brady and I spent many a sleepless nights crying and wondering about John Brady's future. I think it was the uncertainty of it all that made us worry so much. And the waiting. The wait for an MRI. The wait for a neurology appointment. The physical therapy appointment. The early intervention appointment. Then there was the reading about the many types and degrees of CP. It was enough to make you insane with worry. I had never been through anything like it and it was by far the worst thing Brady and I had ever faced. You know, it wasn't the CP label that worried us. It was the unknown. It was not knowing how long his brain was without oxygen because the cord was wrapped around his neck at birth. Was it long enough to cause brain damage? Was it long enough to cause CP? Would we ever know what caused this? When will we have a diagnosis? Brady and I learned to take it one day at a time. During John Brady's 5th, 6th, and 7th months of age we watched his tremors lessen and we watched him make each of his developmental milestones. He even surpassed many of them!! Our pediatrician really didn't have an explanation, other than the miraculous resilience of a baby's brain or it was simply a miracle. So here he is, the birthday boy. Our little miracle is now 4 years old and hasn't missed a beat!

Happy 4th Birthday John Brady!!! We love you to the moon and back!!!!!




Thank you for all of your prayers and kind words throughout my mom's sickness. She still has a long, long way to go, but she's getting there. We are so blessed!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, John Brady! We love you so much, and we can't imagine life without you!

Niki Arendale said...

Happy Birthday John Brady!!! Kim-I know exactly how you and Brady felt. Your description of the what if's and unknown is the exact reenactment that Tim and I have been through with Brooke. And it still is until she is about 4 or 5. We just take one day at a time and count our blessing because she is our little miracle too!!!

Cassie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY John Brady!!! We love you!!

hicksfamilycircus said...

Kim, I'll send ya an email later but I think you know now as I do that reaching out and letting people help is such a comfort. In many ways you and I are different but in many ways we are very similar. I so strongly agree about our blogs and how they have helped us both share more and open up our lives to others. I love you and wish I could have been there for ya through those awful months. Just think of CP from now on as I do, my oldest babyies initials!! Can't believe our kidos are getting so grown up!

hicksfamilycircus said...

OH Yeah - Happy Birthday JB!!! 4 and many more to go!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

Happy Birthday to you, John Brady...CHA CHA CHA! Wow...what a great reflection Kim....blogs, they are a many splendored thing. Thanks for sharing, that's exactly how the Lord intended...it helps to alleviate the pain, anguish, longing and helps to encourage by spreading the joy, love and peace. Love to all of you!

hilda said...

Wow Kim, I didn't know this about John Brady. I brings tears to my eyes just thinking about what all God has done for us and knowing that He is right beside us at all times. Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN BRADY!!!!!!!

The Cannons said...

HAPPY B-DAY JB! A miracle you are and every day in itself is another miracle God has given us to enjoy!I hope we all strive to make the best of each one of them, though sometimes hectic and stressed, as the saying goes "we are too blessed to be stressed"!