Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 for 7 at 7

The block of granite which is an obstacle in the pathway of the weak, becomes a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong. ~ Carlyle



















Where do I start?? How about the title?? Just recently my girls joined the Girl Scouts and I am so proud! (I am also the new Brownie leader, but that is another story!) Tonight the Girl Scouts will join the Boy Scouts to remember the events of September 11. We will walk 7 laps around Northport Elementary for the 7 year anniversary of 9/11 at 7 o'clock. When I learned of this, the number 7 seemed to give me a jolt. Emma is 7 years old now and was only 7 months old when our country was attacked. WOW!

Along with all of you and the rest of the world, I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news. First I remember being confused, then shocked, then terribly saddened and scared. Our TV played CNN all day and night and all I could do was sit and hold my 7 month old with tears streaming down my face. Looking into Emma's innocent eyes, I wondered about the kind of world she would grow up in. And because I wanted Emma to someday know how the 9/11 events affected me, I wrote her a letter and sealed it. The letter overflows with raw emotion and when I feel it is right in my heart, I will let Emma read it.

The horrible images. The heart wrenching stories. The wounded, the missing, and the dead mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, friends, co-workers. The firefighters. Many were wounded and many were killed fighting to save others. Even if you turned off the news, the images were still there.

So today we will honor those taken by the horrific 9/11 act of terrorism. We will honor those who have lost loved ones because of the terrible 9/11 attack on America. We will honor our country's leaders for their continued efforts to stop terrorism. And we will thank God we live in America, home of the brave and land of the free!!





3 comments:

Joy said...

WOW! Thanks for this post. I too remember what I was doing. I was talking to my "dear sweet Cathy" when the second plane hit and we realized that it was an attack and not an accident. I am so proud that my Grandchildren will participate in something that will keep this alive in their memory. My memory of Emma.....when she walked into church at Central holding that flag.....she would not put it down!
MeMe

Anonymous said...

that's great about the kids, kim. great post.

hicksfamilycircus said...

Thanks for the reminder. We all need to remember every year. That day I was teaching preschool and walked out of the elevator and a dad showed it to me on the director's television. God Bless America!

ps- wow, I admire your energy to be the troop mother!!