Monday, February 24, 2014

Mom's Rehab Appointment (9/20/2013)

9/22/2013
Email sent to family and friends

Hi everyone,

Mom had an appointment with a rehab dr on Friday.  Things didn't quite go as we thought they would.  First off, she was having a very, very bad day.  I had already called both her doctors (Tusc and Cleveland) and given her a Valium on our way to the appointment.  So the day really started out bad from the beginning.  These really bad spells have been more numerous since getting back from Cleveland.  We don't know if her symptoms are just getting worse or if the medicine just isn't working.  At the rehab dr. appt, it was our understanding this doctor would "prescribe a therapy regimen" for mom based on the Cleveland Clinic Dr's orders.  Well, the orders from Cleveland Clinic were a joke.  The orders read "treat spinal myoclonus".  Really??  That's the special therapy plan??  My mouth fell to the floor when the nurse read the fax from Cleveland Clinic aloud to us.  When we saw the doctor, he wanted to know mom's complete story from the beginning.  This doctor asked if we had considered Mayo Clinic and I said we have an appointment in October.  (I had been wondering what to do about the Mayo appt and was to discuss it with mom on this very day)  This doctor did his residency at Mayo so that's the good part.  He specializes in treatment of the spine, musculoskeletal, and peripheral nerve disorders.  He has a connection with the Mayo neurologists which is the best part of all.  This doctor has requested ALL of mom's records so that he can be as thorough as possible and wants to see us back next week.  This dr said he isn't "throwing stones" at the Cleveland Clinic dr, but needs to read and understand where the Cleveland Clinc dr is coming from.  I was in such shock during this appointment I couldn't think straight.  I did manage to ask him specifically if physical therapy would help her and he said NO.  Again, my mouth fell to the floor.  I'm still trying to process this all.  I'm not sure what to think at this point.  I do know we are going back to see this dr. next Thursday and we are hoping and praying he can help us or get us to someone at Mayo who can.  

Mom is now on Valium as needed to get through the really bad days.  She's fell twice in the last two weeks.  Once was in the shower and she couldn't get herself out--she had to call dad.  She's already using a walker some at home, but now is growing more and more dependent on it.  We are currently looking for a wheelchair to carry with us to appointments.  She had to use one in Cleveland and needs to use one for appointments here as well.  Most medical offices have them available, but I feel better having one of our own.  Because of my FB posts, mom has reconnected with several friends which has been wonderful and one of my friends cooked for mom and dad last week.  Mom's sister and brother have been visiting and helping with transportation (getting her to me for appointments and getting her back home when dad has to work) and they have been providing some meals.  She's also had some neighbors visit and bring food.  We are so grateful for this help.  I've been trying to help clean their house when I can, but I'm just not able to do it as often as I would like or as often as it needs, so I think dad is now looking to hire someone to clean.  If anyone can recommend a good, honest person for this, please let me know.

As of right now, we will see the rehab dr next Thursday at 3:30, and as of right now, we will be going to Mayo in October.  We most likely will be gone from Oct. 22 - Oct. 25.  It could be longer.  We won't know until we get there.

Please continue to keep mom and dad in your prayers.  Please say a little prayer for me for guidance to make the right decisions during this difficult time.

Love to all,
Kim

No comments: