Monday, February 24, 2014

An Unexpected return to Mayo for appointment on Feb. 4 without me


February 1, 2013
Email to family and friends

Hey everybody,

Just thought I would update on you on the latest happenings with mom.  The dr. who witnessed mom's episode and called a code for the paramedics to come has been in contact with several times.  She has become sort of an advocate for us!  Finally, we have a voice at Mayo!  She contacted the administrator of neurology for us!  While she was making her contacts, I was in full force making our own before we left on Tuesday.  Of course, she had more pull than me but I wasn't about to leave without trying to do something as well.  Because this has become an emergent situation, mom has another appointment at Mayo THIS Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 10:00 EST!  This will be the most important appointment thus far.  I REALLY wish I could go with her, but I can't.  Dad will be going with her.  They will be leaving on Monday, Feb. 3.  Please say a prayer for smooth travel!  The first time Dad ever drove in Birmingham was when she was at Brookwood Medical just a few weeks ago!  Bless his heart it took him 3 hours to get there from our house!  Yes, I know.  Unbelievable!!  But he didn't get discouraged and he eventually made it!  Brady bought them a GPS this morning and is taking Daddy to Yellow Creek this afternoon for an overnight stay and he will teach him how to use it.  I will be making a long list of notes for him on how to get around the Mayo campus among many, many other things.  It might be quite the list!  

So back to the appointment.  I can't go into to details, but the goal of this appointment is to see if mom is a candidate for a 3 week rehabilitation program only offered at Mayo.  From the standpoint of her neurologist, the former head of the dept of neurology (he's also a movement disorder neurologist reviewed all her records at my request), and the dr. who has become our advocate all agree that this is how we should proceed and that she should be a candidate for this 3 week rehab program.  I will know more details on Tuesday and will let you all know.

Please pray for safe and smooth travels for them.  Please pray that we are close to answers!  I believe in my heart that we are.  

Love to you all,

Kim

No comments: