Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Our Monday

Since John Brady has Pre-K Tuesday through Friday, Mondays are sort of a me and John Brady day. :) Last week John Brady and I spent Monday morning together in downtown Northport. I parked near a furniture store called Gracefully Done. The very first thing that caught our eye was this teeny, tiny baby lizard. John Brady became quite attached to this lizard and insisted on taking it with us.



I didn't want him to bring it in the store with us, but I've learned to pick my battles. Once in this very nice store, Gracefully Done, I realized John Brady was putting the lizard on the furniture and anything else he could find. It reminded me of a cat and mouse game! Except this was a 4 1/2 year old with big hands and an itty, bitty lizard. Poor lizard! I was looking at something and heard a little clang and realized John Brady no longer had the lizard. Oh, goodness! Do you see the little glass jewelry box with the pig on top of it? Right there in front of the "Guide Me" plaque? I pray for guidance. A lot! Yessiree, John Brady put the lizard in there and closed it. Number 1, I don't think the furniture store lady would want this lizard in her store, and number 2, most definitely NOT in her delicate pig jewelry box.




We (me, John Brady, and the lizard) left Gracefully Done, did a little window shopping and went in and out of a couple of stores. A lady that worked at another nice store tried to get John Brady to let the lizard go, but he wouldn't have it. We made it down to the Northport Five and Dime store. Lizard still in tow. We walked in and talked a bit with the owner. One of the customers in the Five and Dime asked John Brady if he STILL had that lizard!! How funny is that? This man apparently had seen us earlier that morning.

So then we crossed the street and went to Anders Hardware and it was here that John Brady parted with his lizard! John Brady decided he couldn't try out all of the Radio Flyer wagons, riding toys, etc. while holding the lizard. And I guess Anders just didn't have anything fancy enough to hold the lizard! John Brady released the lizard outside in a nice flower planter. We tooled around in Anders for a while. In the back of Anders, they have an old fashioned glass popcorn popper like the kind you would see at a fair. They keep popcorn popped for their customers so John Brady enjoyed a small bag.





After I purchased a produce basket from Anders, we headed back to the van which was about a block away. I decided to go to Northport Antiques. John Brady discovered this nice antique wooden potty chair and he thought it was the best thing since the lizard! I caught him backing up to it like he wanted to sit on it. Not a good idea. The price tag said $175. Guess those are kind of rare? I have to wonder who would want a used wooden potty chair and if someone did, where would they put it??



It was a great Monday with my little man! I look forward to many more before I have to send him to Kindergarten!

4 comments:

hicksfamilycircus said...

that is too cute of a story. Oh the memories to be cherished on your Mondays together!

The Cannons said...

Too cute, Kim. We have a missing lizard in our house somewhere right now. He was in a red dixie cup "hatitat" last night and he's now NOT!

Anonymous said...

How cute!

Joy said...

My little man. Love of lizards began with his Daddy and Uncle Josh. Cute story.