Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dinner is Ready!!!

Brady and I have always tried to fit home-cooked meals into our routine. It hasn't always been easy and we have given up a time or two falling into the fast food rut. I can't tell you how many ways we have tried to incorporate fast, easy, and healthy cooking into our crazy, time-lacking life. I even did the Super Suppers in B'ham one time. One time I researched all the local restaurants comparing casserole prices. So, yes we have fought several battles with this "food war". It's so difficult with us both working until 5:00, picking up the kids, cooking dinner, eating, cleaning up, doing homework, getting baths, and ready for bed at a decent hour. You can relate, right?

Well, I found a great little website (http://www.30mealsinoneday.com/) and decided to give it a try. We did a sample menu and really liked it. The whole idea is to pick out your recipes, prepare them, and freeze them until you are ready for that meal. I ordered the cookbook and the software and we have been eating these meals for about 6 weeks. You can use the software to choose recipes and print grocery lists based on your chosen meals. I've always hated trying new recipes because of all the "extra" ingredients you have to remember to buy. These meals are simple meals without a lot of unusual ingredients. I am sure you are wondering about the taste. Well, the taste is great!! Every recipe is really yummy and really easy to prepare!

Now I must mention that Brady does the grocery shopping and makes all the meals for us, but I am speaking on his behalf, too. He's such a good man!! Love you, honey! So now we ALWAYS have a meal in the freezer and that is what I love! If Brady is going to be late, all I have to do is grab the thawed meal and read the instructions right on the bag or pan, add a couple of simple sides, and Dinner is Ready!! Such a time saver!

We haven't been able to do the "30 meals in one day" yet, but Brady has been able to do 5 meals in a day. When we can better plan our time, he should be able to do more. For now Brady tries to keep our freezer stocked with 2-3 meals. He's a good man!
















3 comments:

Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...

I have a simular cookbook called Meals for the Month. I used this method of cooking ALOT after Olivia was born. I still try and keep 10-15 meals in the freezer for emergencys. I couldn't do 30 meals in a day either but I could do about 15 in one day. However we have a smaller family so that makes a big difference in the portions. I'll have to check out the cookbook you are using. Mine didn't come with software, that would definetely take alot of the work out when making the shopping list. Thanks for the suggestion !!!

The Cannons said...

I don't know how ya'll manage it all! I was thinking a lot of sharing the cereal bowl went on.HA!Living in town, the FF route would be very tempting.But nothing like sitting down at home together and having supper, the giggling, the stories of the day, etc.

kimberly t. bowling said...

I want that Candied Chicken recipe...it looks good....and anything "candied" sounds terrific to me. :)