Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Westervelt Warner Museum of American Art

I had been wanting to visit Jack Warner's museum for quite some time and I was off work Friday so it was a perfect time. Thicket magazine did a story on the museum in it's June/July issue (www.thicketmag.com). When I read the piece I questioned why I had never visited the museum, for it's nestled right here in Tuscaloosa, only 10 minutes from my house!! I had often heard of Mr. Warner's great art collection, but didn't realize it's magnitude until I visited. Well, if you haven't been you really need to go. Jack Warner owns one of the two greatest collections of American art in the world! Scheduled tours are available, but I opted for the audio tour. During the audio tour, Mr. Warner himself tells what the piece means to him. You can see from his collection that American history is very important to him. So it is a little history lesson, as well. You can visit the website for more info: www.warnermuseum.org.

No comments: