Friday, February 11, 2011

To go private or not?

I blog.  I like to blog.  I like to read other blogs.  I like the blog friendships I've made.  I enjoy commenting on other blogs.  I love reading your comments and thoughts on my blog posts.

I blog mainly to document the life of our family.  Fun times.  Happy times.  Sad times.  Good times.   Bad times.  Whatever the occasion.  Our life isn't perfect.  This blog is my scrapbook.  Not a showcase.  A journal of our family events.

After a recent incident, I have been thinking about changing my blog's privacy setting to one where the reader must be added by me to view my blog.  It's not that I am regretful about any of my posts.  Just suspicious of the intentions of a recent reader.

I am not thrilled to make it private, and of course, I'm still thinking this over.  In the meantime, I would like your feedback on this. 

5 comments:

Kyler, Jennifer, Olivia and Lucy said...

Kim- This is something I have thought about before. I am like you I mainly blog for friends and family to be able to keep see our lives. However I know there are definetley onlookers out there who are only looking to cast judgement and spread gossip, which is really sad. No ones life is perfect and we all have issues. There are definetely things I don't post just for that reason.
I also know as my children get older they will become more private able what they want shared so I won't be able to openly discuss as much on an open blog. At that point I will probably go private if I continue a family blogs.
I know my thoughts probably didn't help much since I am just as torn on the topic. I love my blog. Alot of the blogs I read really encourage and help me and I like doing that for others, but at the same time I don't want my posts judged and talked about so alot of what I discussed is censored.
If you go private make sure I'm on the list. You were the 1st blog I started reading :)

Amanda McCrory said...

I feel Like I should comment not sure why But I keep coming back and reading this and my own Blog, I started my Blog for my parents after Jackson was born because he grew so fast and I wanted them to see pictures often because we don't get to visit a lot. Now that he has gotten older I continue to document little things that happen in my life and also some bigger ones. I didn't know that you could make the blog private. I only get comments from very few people I some what know or feel like I know well. I don't really have any followers, and I sometimes just need to just get it all out there and get support from others it some how makes me feel a little better. I probably share a little to much some times we all do. I share on my blog things I would never Share on Facebook. I hope you come to a decision that best suits you and your family. It has def give me something to think about.

Kim Lawson said...

Thanks Jennifer and Amanda! I really value your input. I am like you guys. I don't put EVERYTHING out there, but I do share a good bit. I feel very comfortable sharing with everyone on my blog list because I know you guys have no ill intentions toward my family. And maybe this person (this unknown reader)didn't either, however, her poor judgement has caused me some heartache.

I want to document moments and feelings of the events in our lives. Do I need to separate blogs?? I just think that's crazy. As you can tell I am struggling with this! I guess the best thing is to go private.

kimberly t. bowling said...

I'm always at a loss for the right answers on this topic...as I have struggled with this issue since beginning our blog. Sorry I am not much help and my lengthy email reply was so rambled...

April said...

I had a little issue a few years ago with my blog. At the time I had our last name as part of the blog name. Instead of going private I just changed our blog name and for a while I didn't even use our kids first names on the blog-just nicknames!