Thursday, March 1, 2012

Team Adventure and Canoeing || Camp McDowell Day 3

For team adventure, our field group met across from this gorgeous tree.  
I couldn't help but snap a few pics of it.
Although, you can't tell it by the pictures, this was our coldest day 
and we were on a hill getting 
pierced with a lot of wind.  
The only part of me not covered was my eyes!



The campers learned about 
working together as a team.  
They played several games
 using the strategies they learned.


This game really tested their team skills.  
First they stood on a string side by side 
in any order they chose.  
The object of the game was to get in 
month order of their birthdays 
WITHOUT stepping off the string.  
If they stepped off of the string,
 they had to start over.



They failed many times 
before they finally devised a plan that worked.


But they did it!


As we left team adventure, 
one more snap of the tree.  
The clouds were now casting 
a shadow on the tree.  
The lights and darks of the 
beautiful golden leaves could be seen easier.  


Canoeing

This was my favorite activity.  
I think it was Emma's too!

First we had demonstration 
and instruction time.  
This was very important 
for only one of our group 
had canoed before 
and it wasn't me!



Ok.  So I have no pictures of me 
and Emma in our canoe.  :(  
I was terrified of our canoe tipping over. 
More specifically, I was terrified of Emma 
making our canoe tip over!  
One of the moms in our cabin had tipped over 
on our first day at camp!  Purposefully, both of my cameras were on the bank. 
Once Emma and I settled into our canoe, but before we were pushed out,
 I had serious, mother-daughter talk with Emma.  I explained how important it was to sit straight up 
and not to lean left or right.  I explained how mama did not want the canoe to tip over, 
and how mama didn't want 
to fall into the cold, cold water!!
Once she and I were on the same page, we started paddling and made a great team until
we paddled our canoe right into some tree branches hanging over the bank.  
Emma was in front and I was in the back.  Emma was scared she was going to be hit by the limbs.
Forget the teamwork.  Back in mama mode and in mama voice, I warned her not to move. 
 Just let the limbs hit you, Emma! 
I don't care if you run right into the limbs
 and they hit you in the head! 
Do not rock the boat!  
I just knew she was going to panic, 
jump out of the way of the limbs, 
and over we would go!  
Slightly appalled, Emma did as she was told and   
we got safely out of the limbs,
 and paddled down the river.  
That's my girl!
We had such fun canoeing 
and can't wait to do it again!



Such a pretty place for canoeing!





1 comment:

Joy said...

AND AGAIN......great pictures!