The kids decided on their Halloween costumes basically when the very first costume catalogs hit my mailbox. Late August maybe???
When I tried to order John Brady's skeleton glow in the dark pajamas, I couldn't find them in stock anywhere. I was able to snag a pair on ebay and pay less than any other website I had found.
The kids and I walked right into Target and over to the 2nd aisle of costumes and found Emma's dancing queen costume (aka disco girl). It was the last one Target had. All I needed was boots for her. I called mom to dig around my old closet at home for my old flag corp marching boots. Bingo! Emma got to wear my boots from 1988! And they actually fit her!
Ok. Rapunzel was kind of a doozy. If I purchased the one in the catalog, it was going to cost me around $180!! No way!! I decided I would make her cape and her hat. I ordered the hair from amazon.com about 6 weeks before Halloween, but sort of waited until the last minute to make the cape and hat. I bought some upholstery fabric and tulle and started it about 5 days before Halloween. The no-sew cape was super easy. Next was the hat. I covered some really thick poster board with the fabric and rolled it to make the cone and then I stuck the tulle into the hole at the top. I did have to make two hats because the first one wasn't big enough to fit around Abby's head. I bought the long sweater, but the dress and shoes were hers. I think my savings came to approximately $140!
When we arrived home from our church's trunk or treat, our doorbell rang. We thought it was some trick or treaters. We didn't see any cars and when John Brady and Abby peeped out the window they were speechless. These two creatures from out of nowhere appeared at our door. Looking out the door at our two visitors, John Brady said, "Nanny??"



2 comments:
Donnie and Dianne are a HOOT! What a memory.
impressive work on Abby's costume! love that your mom and dad got into costume!
Post a Comment